Monday, August 3, 2009

Happy Harvest!

August 1 or thereabouts, we celebrate the 'First Harvest'. Symbolized by the harvest of grains (corn/wheat etc), but certainly represented by any harvest ocurring now (early vegetables...beans, zucchini, cucumbers etc).
This year, however, mama nature and the spirit of the maple had an additional harvest in mind at my house.






This was about 1/3 of the canopy that came down...but it is highly likely that the whole tree is too diseased to stay.
He came down on Lammas eve ( overnight Friday - Saturday). My husband and I were awakened by the crack and swoosh...
Funny thing is...that when I heard that crack/swoosh I recalled having heard it the previous night too...but my husband doesn't have that same recollection. I wonder.....
Anyway, when we were looking at the photos we had taken, we found this....
Look closely at the bare wood...and see the sad old face.... so we thanked the tree for its shade, its witness over the passage of time and for the harvest of wood it would be bringing us.

My oldest had a harvest of his own this weekend too...his first "naturally" lost tooth...
Happy harvesting!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Yikes, I hope the tree didn't damage your house too. So sorry for its loss, I bet you will miss it.

Yeah for lost teeth!

Lisa ;)